Classic Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
All the flavors of the classic delicious strawberry shortcake with a soft cake layer instead of biscuit, and served in individual cups for a fun party or after dinner treat! Always a must on the holiday to do list!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Keyword: Strawberry Shortcake, Trifle
Calories: 606 kcal
Author: Jaclyn from cooking classy
2 cups (284g) all-purpose flour, and more for dusting pan
3 Tbsp (26g) cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
12 Tbsp (170g) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (315g) granulated sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (283g) sour cream (I used light because it’s what I had on hand)
2 lbs fresh strawberries, diced, and 12 more small whole for garnish
3 1/2 Tbsp (45g) granulated sugar
2 cups (475ml) heavy cream
6 oz (170g) cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup (90g) powdered sugar
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Butter and flour an 18 by a 13-inch rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, then set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest till pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time and then mix in vanilla.
4. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture then mix just until combined then add in 1/2 the sour cream and mix just until combined, repeat with flour and sour cream once more than end by mixing in last 1/3 of the flour mixture then mixing just until combined (scrape down the bowl to ensure it is evenly combined).
5. Pour and spread batter evenly into the prepared baking sheet, And Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, for about 20 – 24 minutes.
6. Remove from oven then cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Once cool, cut it into 24 rounds the size of your dessert cups (you will have a little left over the cake which you could chill or freeze then serve later with more fresh fruit and whipped cream).
For the strawberry layer:
1. Toss diced strawberries with sugar, And Let rest for about 10 minutes.
For the cream layer:
1. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer whip heavy cream till soft peaks form (no need to clean beater blades for next step).
2. In a separate medium mixing bowl whip cream cheese until smooth, And add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy.
3. Add cream cheese mixture to heavy cream then whip until stiff peaks form.
To assemble trifles:
1. Place 12 cake rounds in 12 fairly tall dessert cups, And Add a spoonful of strawberries over each cake round.
2. Transfer cream mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe cream mixture over strawberry layer, And Repeat layering process once more.
3. Garnish each with a fresh strawberry.
4. Serve within a 1 hour for best results (the cake could be made a day in advance and covered, just wait to prepare the cream mixture and strawberries until almost ready to serve).