Vegan Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Amazing fluffy and tender vegan, gluten-free cinnamon rolls! Just about 10 ingredients and easy methods required for these insanely flavorful and delicious rolls!
Author: Minimalist Baker
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 7 (rolls)
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan
Freezer Friendly 1 month
Does it keep? 2-3 Days
3/4 scant cup unsweetened plain almond milk or you can use other dairy-free milk
2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
1 Tbsp vegan butter (I like Myoko’s brand and Earth Balance)
1 packet active dry yeast (~2 1/4 tsp as the recipe is written // I like Fleischmann’s active dry original)
2 cups DIY gluten-free flour blend and with xanthan gum
3/4 cup almond flour (not almond meal And I like Wellbee’s brand)
2 Tbsp cane sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp cold vegan butter
3 Tbsp melted vegan butter
2/3 cup organic brown sugar (light or dark)
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Simple Powdered Sugar Glaze
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and use vegan butter oil to lightly coat a standard pie plate or round baking dish, then Set aside.
2. Heat dairy-free milk in the microwave or on the stovetop to the temperature of warm bath water – approximately 110 degrees F (43 C), And Be careful not to exceed that temperature or it may kill the yeast.
3. To the dairy-free milk, put the vegan butter and sugar and stir melt. Then add yeast and stir once more. And Set aside (uncovered) to proof about 10 minutes, or until it appears puffy on the surface (this indicates the yeast is activating. If it has not activated at this point, either your yeast was expired or the liquid was too hot or not hot enough).
4. In the Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl whisk together gluten-free flour blend (including xanthan gum), almond flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. And add cold vegan butter and use a fork or pastry cutter to mix or “cut” into the dry mixture. It can resemble the texture of wet sand.
5. For the dry ingredients, add the almond milk-yeast mixture a little at a time and stir. A dough that resembles moist (not crumbly) cookie dough should form. Put more of the wet mixture as needed. If it gets too wet and tacky (you could be able to form it into a ball when rolled), add more almond flour or GF flour blend, Then Set aside.
6. Get a large cutting board then wrap with plastic wrap (tuck the wrap down around the edges so it stays in place). And dust the surface of the plastic wrap generously with gluten-free flour.
7. Put the dough in the center of the board and sprinkle with more gluten-free flour. And top with another sheet of plastic wrap and tuck down around the edges of the cutting board (so it stays in place). Then Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large, thin rectangle. The dough can be about 1/8th-inch thick.
8. Be carefully remove the top layer of plastic wrap then brush on the vegan butter. And sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and spread gently with fingers to evenly distribute. Then, untuck the bottom layer of plastic wrap from the cutting board and then use it to tightly roll the dough lengthwise into a cylinder.
9. Use a serrated knife or floss (my preferred method) to cut into even rolls (as the recipe is written, 7-8). Then Be carefully transfer to the prepared pie dish or cake pan (they may be fragile to transfer).
10. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel then set on top of the warm oven and let rise for about 30 minutes, or until the rolls have risen slightly and are touching (or close to touching) – they won’t get as voluminous as gluten-containing rolls, however, they will puff up a bit!
11. Remove towel and plastic wrap then place rolls on the center rack of your oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and the rolls have risen/expanded quite a bit. while the rolls bake, you may prepare a frosting/glaze (optional).
12. Let the rolls cool at least for 20 minutes before frosting (optional), then enjoy!
13. Store leftover cinnamon rolls covered at room temperature up to 2-3 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Nutrition Per Serving for 1 of 7 Vegan Cinnamon Roll Recipe without the glaze.
Saturated fat: 2g
Vitamin A: 1.5%